Saturday, May 23, 2009

can i take this lead jacket off?

I really want to get better.  

Better at softball.  
Better at guitar.  
Better at work.
Better at cooking.
Better at reading.
Better at writing.   

I went to the dentist's office a couple days ago.  I put on that big lead jacket to do the x-rays.  As I did, it reminded me of the fact that as much as I want to be free of the burden of flesh, it seemingly always(not nearly) weighs me down, leaving the force of my Spirit-given, glory-seeking wings useless. 

There's a part of me that continually hungers for things of the flesh.  Well, let me take that back.  My soul always hungers.  It seems that when my soul is satisfied with the presence and power of Jesus Christ, my flesh can subside it's desires.  

There's a song right now that is blowing me away.  I want to live in it more and more.  It's "Carbon  Ribs" by John Mark McMillan.  

The chorus goes:

I'm a dead man now
With a ghost who lives 
Within the confines of these carbon ribs
And one day when I'm free
I will sit
A cripple at your table
A cripple by your side

There are moments, often times it's when I'm singing to the Lord, that I feel the Spirit of God living so closely within me.  But in just a quick of moment I am reminded of the gravity of my flesh that holds me to this world.  One Day.  When I'm free.  I will be free.  I will sit as a healed cripple at the table of Jesus Christ.  I will leave this world and the way it holds me down.  

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

aj. it's time to write again.

don't be scared.